Thursday, July 14, 2005

Virtuous Politics?

Elder M. Russell Ballard said:
"Believe it or not, at one time the very notion of government had less to do with politics than with virtue. According to James Madison, often referred to as the father of the Constitution: 'We have staked the whole future of American civilization not upon the power of the government--far from it. We have staked the future of all of our political institutions upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God' (Russ Walton, Biblical Principles of Importance to Godly Christians, New Hampshire: Plymouth Foundation, 1984, p. 361)." ( "Religion in a Free Society," Ensign, Oct. 1992, 65)

I wish our modern day politics had more to do with virtue today. The reason I shy away from politics is because there is so much contention and divisiveness. I don't mind local non-partisan elections because I feel I am voting on issues and people, not parties. With the state and federal levels, sometimes I feel like I'm voting for the lesser of two evils!

Now I am fairly conservative, and even though James Madison wants us to "govern ourselves according to the Ten Commandments", I don't want Roy Moore on the Supreme Court!

2 Comments:

At 7/20/2005 8:25 PM, Blogger Becca said...

Hi mom. Here's a comment just so you know that I read your blog. I didn't really have anything to say about this particular entry, except that it was interesting. Keep it up.

 
At 7/22/2005 5:33 AM, Blogger Conrad Deitrick said...

But the question invariably comes up about which virtues and values mean something to you or are more important to you.

And that's essentially what we've got now, if you strip away the party garbage.

What's more important, the sanctity of marriage and the value of an unborn child, or feeding the poor and healing the sick?

It can be tough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home