Monday, August 01, 2005

Lazy Days of Summer are OVER

I've been informed that it is once again time to update my blog. Life just keeps getting in the way, or I develop that blankiosus disease. I've been busy getting ready for seminary, started my new "Band Parents President" job, and am now teaching a flute clinic at the high school.

When my oldest started in band, I had a feeling that someday I might hold the title of "Band Parents President" for the middle school band, but didn't seek after it at all. Then last Winter the band director pulled me in his office and (suspiciously) asked me if I knew anyone who I thought would make a good president. (Since I've been around so long, this is my fourth kid in band and I know oh so many people! NOT.) Then he said, "how about you? I could use a musician around, someone that understands me." I knew then that I should just say yes. Time to put in my year or two. Josh will like having me around. So here I am, not really having a clue about my responsiblities, or maybe it's just not wanting to face them. The band director is great to work with, and lots of fun to hang with. It's not that big a deal, being president. There are only four meetings during the entire school year, plus chaperoning games, which I'd do anyway. And the board is very supportive. Everyone just does their job. So I think I'll be okay, and not too stressed out.

Same for seminary. I'm teaching for the fifth year now. This year is a repeat, so I already have my posters made, object lessons planned, and lessons prepared. I just have to read and review. So it too, should be stress free. Should. Maybe.

The flute clinic is fun, but I feel like they've heard everything I have to say, since I've been doing this for so many years now. Today they all sat there like bumps on a log. I wasn't exactly an exciting teacher today. Maybe the rest of the week I can figure out a way to get to them. The show is going to be cool, at least musically. It's called "Emotions" and has a medley of tunes demonstrating the emotions of Fear(Symphony Fantastique), Anger (Dies Irae- Requiem) Love (Nessun Dorma*** love this one, it's from a Puccini Opera, Fun (Gee, Officer Krupke from West Side Story), Happy (Get Happy), Sad (Schindler's List), Courage and Bravery (Do You Hear the People Sing from Les Miz). They will actually sing the beginning of that on the field. Yes, band geeks singing. It should be pretty cool.

Oh, and I have concert on Sunday with Twick Winds. And school starts on Monday. The lazy days of summer are definately over!

Quote of the Day: "A man can stand a lot as long as he can stand himself." Axel Munthe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home