Saturday, July 15, 2006

Trip Report Day Four

(Slowly by slowly, it's going up... and now maybe I can add photos!)

Day Four: Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Our first and main item on the agenda today is the Vatican. Claudio had suggested that we get in line first thing in the morning as the lines could take two to three hours to get in.

(**Side note on how Claudio spells his name. I’ve gotten a couple of corrections on this. I assumed it was Claudio, until I saw it on the rooming list Roger had listed as Cladio. So I spelled it that way. Then I found out from his email address that it is Claudio, so now the confusion is over!)

So we ate breakfast and headed down to the bus. We took the metro and easily found the Vatican.  The line looped around the north end of the Vatican, but moved quickly. We were pleasantly surprised that it only took an hour to get in. The heat wasn’t too bad, and we had some, shall we say, amateur accordion players to entertain us. One even sang as he played.

 The main thing I was interested in was the Sistine Chapel. But there was something interesting artwork along the way. Then the Sistine Chapel… something I have looked forward to for a very long time. Before we went in there were signs that said “no photo” and “silencio!”. I was thinking that this would be a reverent inspiring room, but when we walked in there were tons of people, a crowded standing room only setting, and there were people talking. Oh, the talking. Way too much talking. And the photo taking. Theo and I were both disappointed with the disrespect shown. Yes, the ceiling was amazing! And to realize that Michelangelo had to paint this way up on scaffolding, lying on his back, only able to work 30 minutes at a time because it was fresco painting and the plaster would dry. In that sense, the Sistine Chapel was amazing, but as far as being an awe inspiring life event, it came up a little short. I guess the setting has a lot to do with the experience!

 After that we headed to St. Peter’s Basilica, only to see another long line. We opted to just be happy with the outside, on this trip. We took some photos, and then went souvenir hunting. Picked up some trinkets and then headed back to the Metro. Theo and I thought we’d take another shot at the Hard Rock Café. It was fairly easy to find, right across the street from the American Embassy.   I have to say, it was cool to see the American flag! We picked up a pizza by the hotel and split it (divisi) and got back just in time to load the bus. And then we were off to Poggio Mirteto.

(On a bad note, one of our band members was pickpocketed in Rome getting on the bus. Luckily he had his passport in another location. Thus the popular phrase came up “keep your hand on your stuff!” Or, “hold on to your Euro!”)

Off on another bus ride to the hills north of Rome. This stay was going to be really cool… we are staying in a castle on a hill. A Real Castle. We are staying in a real castle with secret passageways and Rapunzel like turrets. And a swimming pool, which we all greatly appreciated after the heat of Rome. I came down to the pool in my suit and here were all these band members lining the sides of the oval shaped pool like a giant Jacuzzi. The cool water felt great, and my feet much better. All the walking and sitting on the bus have caused them to swell up. But who cares. I’m in Italy!

Speaking of walking, there were several flights of stairs to climb to get to our room on the third floor. And speaking of steps….

I became the band klutz. On my way down to dinner I was a little distracted and missed a step and took a fall that I broke with my wrist, knee and cheekbone. My wrist swelled up, my knee was badly bruised, but I was spared the black eye that I thought would appear above my cheek.

So many band members were worried about me. It felt nice to be taken care of even though it was sort of embarrassing. Somebody went to find ice, and I have to say what ran through my head was *Ice*? Here in Europe? I wanted just to hold some ice, chew on some ice, put some ice in my drink! So when they brought out a blue ice pack, I was a little disappointed. But I kept it on my wrist. I was worried about playing at our concert that night, but my fingers worked fine, even though my wrist really hurt.

The meal was another amazing five course feast. Too bad I didn’t feel well. I guess my stomach was a little upset because of the fall and being nervous about playing with a hurt hand. The most expensive meal of the trip and and I only took one or two bites of each course. Geez.

Down the hills we went to our concert in a cathedral. The bus rides on these skinny roads with curves around the sides of the hills. Don’t look down! We are right on the edge!  Mimmo honks his horn everytime we come to a curve to warn the drivers coming from the other direction. But we make it down alive. Mimmo is awesome.

Now this concert… Oh. My. Gosh. Nessum Dorma in an acoustically bouncy cathedral. This was surely the highlight of my trip so far. It gave me goose bumps. And once again, such a gracious audience. My favorite concert so far. Playing the piccolo solo with the snare drum on Concord was fun the way it filled up the room.

A surprise to all of us was that in this little town of Poggio Mertito is the longest running band program. They have a running record of the directors on the wall. We saw the rehearsal room of the oldest hometown band in Europe, founded in 1592. Wow.

We got drinks on the house, courtesy of the town. I had a orangy soda thing. And I had almost forgotten to get my daily allotted allowance of Gelato. Chocolate and Chocolate chip. Mmmmm. Unfortunately, it was still my designated klutz day, and I spilled chocolate gelato on my khaki band pants.
 

And speaking of klutzy, we had a low log beam just over our bathroom door that I kept hitting my head on. Our room was cool, with a beautiful view once again. Sandra and Kim were my roomies this time, and I have to tell you, they are really fun to hand around with! Life is not dull with Sandra and Kim around!

So after the concert, etc., we went back to the castle. Same type of exciting bus ride only we couldn’t see where we were so it was a little easier. Theo, Steve and I decided to do a little Scooby-doo and gang exploring of the castle. 
We found, very easily if you followed the noise, a party on the third floor behind the clock. We found hidden rooms and secret passageways. Maybe it was just being in a castle in Italy at night, but we were silly and had fun. Theo even decided to camp out on a couch (or was it two couches pushed together?) in one of the rooms, because his assigned room was right across from aforementioned loud party room, and he wanted some peace and quiet.

Late to bed and early to rise equals one sleeply camper. Having a 6 to 7 hours bus ride ahead of us tomorrow will maybe give me a chance to catch up on some sleep. Riiiight. Tomorrow, Verona.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home