Wednesday, August 08, 2007

word of the week

You ever find yourself using the same word over and over? I did this week. And you probably noticed, too. The word is *geek*.

I always liked the word geek better than nerd. Geek denotes more intelligence, whereas nerd implies low social skills. After all, one will call himself a band geek, but not call himself a band nerd.

So I decided to do a little research on this word, *geek*, so see if I'm even using it in the right context.

I head to dictionary.com. Here are the results:

geek
–noun Slang.
1.a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, esp. one who is perceived to be overly intellectual.
2.a computer expert or enthusiast (a term of pride as self-reference, but often considered offensive when used by outsiders.)
3.a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken.

Hmmm, not looking too good here. A dislikable person? Overly intellectual? A term of pride as self-reference, yes... but offensive? AND disgusting acts?

I think I no longer want to be a geek. Let's see if nerd is any better....

nerd –noun Slang.
1.a stupid, irritating, ineffectual, or unattractive person.n
2.an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd.

Okay, I'd much rather be overly intellectual or peculiar than stupid, irritating, ineffectual or unattractive.

Just don't count on me biting off any chicken heads anytime soon.

That would be just plain foolish. Which by the way, Kristen, is the origin of the word:

GEEK-- Origin: 1915- 20; prob. var. of geck (mainly Scots) fool

2 Comments:

At 8/08/2007 3:06 PM, Blogger Kiki said...

Also, the earliest recorded date of 'geek' (according to the OED) is 1876. It hasn't been around that long. However, it's older than 'nerd,' which wasn't used until the 1950s!

 
At 8/09/2007 6:23 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I am perfectly at peace with "geek" (even if not self-referentially used in most cases, but I take offense at "nerd"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home