Wednesday, December 13, 2006

'tis the season

...for secret deliveries and packages and UPS and FedEx knocking on your door. Yesterday was a good mail day. We got several cards in the mail and TWO packages!

But alas, I got this message when tracking another package:
12/12/2006 2:48 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN

12/12/2006 6:53 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY

12/12/2006 5:32 P.M. THE PACKAGE WAS DAMAGED IN TRANSIT. UPS WILL NOTIFY THE SENDER WITH THE DETAILS

12/12/2006 9:38 P.M. THE PACKAGE WAS DAMAGED IN TRANSIT. UPS WILL NOTIFY THE SENDER WITH THE DETAILS; ALL MERCHANDISE DISCARDED. UPS WILL NOTIFY THE SENDER WITH DETAILS OF THE DAMAGE

What the heck is that about? Has anyone ever heard of UPS discarding merchandise? How do I know that someone who works at UPS didn't just pick it up? What do I do now?

Unfortunately, I can't give you more information about the package's contents in case somebody reads my blog who I wanted to surprise with said contents. But if you knew what was in the package, you'd be scratching your head, too, at how it could be destroyed, and how easily someone else could take advantage of "discarded" merchandise.

So do I wait to hear from UPS? or from the sender? or ????

2 Comments:

At 12/15/2006 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa! I've never seen that happen. Although I did get an envelope once that had been opened. The postal service had taped it back up and put in in another envelope explaining that it had been illegally opened by someone and they were investigating. It was a credit card form, but not one that would let them steal any of my info.

Even more bizarre: a friend of mine got a letter one time that had been in a mail truck when it caught on fire. They sent the charred remains to him in a separate envelope with an explanation and an apology. The outside edges of the envelope were burned, but you could still read part of it. I was actually impressed -- that's dedication.

 
At 12/19/2006 8:37 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I've heard quite a few horror stories about UPS and the holiday rush (some from a former UPS driver), most of them probably urban/office legends.

The most common (and one that I'm positive I fell victim to once) is the "Oops, I forgot to deliver this package so I'll put down that I tried and there was no one at home." I had a package returned to Amazon that UPS said they had tried to deliver three times but no one was home, but my wife was home all day all three days. Either he was lying or he was going to the wrong house.

The worst (and this one is unsubstantiated) was that a driver forgot to deliver a package on the day before Christmas, so he chucked it off a bridge and put down "Left on doorstep".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home