Wednesday, March 01, 2006

There's more to life than Google...

I recently read an article about the variety of search engines out there. I realized that like most people out there on the world wide web, I am in a Google rut. Face it, "google" is now a verb. It is the most widely used search engine.

The very first search engine I used besides the resident aol engine, was probably Yahoo. Altavista was another one I remember from long ago. I still love their Babel Fish translation service. Then somebody hooked me up with Dogpile.com. I still really like that one when I remember that there is life outside of Google. AskJeeves.com was another one I frequented. Or was it just Ask.com? (It is now, since Jeeves has been given the boot!)

Here are some new ones that I'm checking out.
Singingfish.com
Blingo.com
Surfwax.com

A couple places I ran across are actually trying to win you over (like above Blingo) by offering chances to win something (msn.com) or by giving you opportunity to get rewards (Amazon's A9 search offers 1.57% off Amazon purchases.)

For those of you into research, you can research search engines at Search Engine Watch.

Most search engines out there are run by Google or Yahoo, so I'll probably just stick with Google unless something better comes up. Google just has so much to offer: froogle, images, maps, even the controversial book search. And I think I'd rather "google" something than "yahoo" something... it just sounds more, umm, right. Or maybe not?

2 Comments:

At 3/02/2006 5:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yahoo! was the original, and I still use it occasionally. But Google is a little better, technologically speaking, and so far they have the highest user-loyalty of any search engine on the market.

 
At 3/16/2006 11:41 AM, Blogger Kiki said...

Mom! You need to write another entry! It's been so long!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home