Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Dynamic Dialogue and Wasting Time

I'm not normally a television viewer... meaning I'm not a prime time TV watcher. I don't like TV shows. There are a few that are okay because you can watch one show and get the whole story like the various Law and Order series. I like to use the television to watch movies though. I love a good movie: a complete story in one nice little package. (Excepting the *to be continued trend*... like have you seen Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest? Totally set up for a sequel.) Anyhoo, as I was saying, I don't usually get into television series. I tried my darndest to get into Grey's Anatomy (McDreamy and McSteamy, no explanation needed) this past Fall, but I'm not a schedule follower. I am a spontaneous tv watcher. (or maybe I'm just impulsive... sorry, I digress.) But when you just tune in at random, you don't understand what is going on.

I have found a solution, albeit a semi-detrimental to your life for a couple of days solution if you get caught up in these things like I do. I have a point really. I'm getting there.

My daughter received, compliments of her mother, two complete seasons of the Gilmore Girls. That is around 21 or 22 Forty Minute Shows (yes, one hour shows have 20 minutes worth of commercials). When she was a freshman in college she'd watch it with some of her roomies. I've tuned in a few times... but, as referred to above, I cannot always remember to watch a show at a certain time. Problem solved! You buy the complete season on DVD (make sure you don't spend full price though... I got a great deal!) and be prepared to block out say-- 15-16 hours of your life. No dinners fixed, no Christmas trees taken down, no pleasant family conversation, and alas, no blogging. But the drama and dialogue of Gilmore Girls makes up for your social abandonment.

This show is witty, fast paced and laced with fun references to pop culture. On the special features dvd that comes with season one, the writer said most one hour shows have 45 to 50 pages of script and their scripts run around 65 to 70 pages. That's a lot more dialogue crammed into one show. But I really enjoy the verbal sparring, the made up words.

Examples from imdb.com for your blogging entertainment:

Lorelai:You lost me at carrots, which was the first draft of 'you had me at hello'.

Luke: Are you okay with the guy thing?
Lorelai: Yes.
Luke: Really?
Lorelai: Okay-ish.
Luke: That's not okay.
Lorelai: That's okay with an "ish."
Luke: Whatever you say.

Richard: Focus, please.
Lorelai: I am a camera.

Lorelai: Can I use the fun cutter thingy?
Luke: Not if you call it the fun cutter thingy.
Lorelai: Please?
Luke: Cut the boxes, not your hands.
Lorelai: Good tip, you should teach!

Lorelai: My shoe broke! I need you to fix it!
Luke: Do I look like a cobbler to you?
Lorelai: If I say yes, will you fix it?

Rory: So, is this party Grandma's having going to be a big deal?
Lorelai: Not really. The government will close that day. Flags will fly at half-mast. Barbra Streisand will give her final concert... again.
Rory: Uh-huh.
Lorelai: Now, the Pope has previous plans, but he's trying to get out of them. However, Elvis and Jim Morrison are coming and they're bringing chips.

Lorelai: Hey, I'm studying in there...
Rory: I know.
Lorelai: Yeah. I have, like, 6,000 pages of case studies to memorize and this whole big test on the Wal-Mart phenomena coming up on Friday and because I have a life and a job and business school's not the only thing I have to concentrate on I'm behind, and I'll probably fail and then that little 18-year-old annoying gnat who sits behind me will get another 'A' and make that 'I'm smart you're dumb' fact to me for the rest of the week and I'll be very upset and will possibly cry.
Rory: The music's too loud.
Lorelai: Yes.

Luke: Very romantic.
Lorelai: Says the man who yelled "Finally." at the end of Love Story.

Rory: Please, don't walk away like that.
Dean: Sorry, I'd do a silly walk, but I'm not feeling very John Cleese right now.

Andrew: I'd rather have bird crap fall on my head.
Lorelai: There it is - our new town slogan.
Rory: I like it.
Lorelai: I see coffee mugs, T-shirts.
Rory: Don't forget stuffed shish-kabobbed birds.
Lorelai: That moan when you squeeze 'em.

Rory: When's soon?
Lorelai: When the big hand hits the "S" and the little hand hits the "OON."

Lorelai: Ugh, Rory, my brain is full. It has reached capacity. It's Shea Stadium when the Beatles played. It's cramped and girls are screaming and I think George is fighting with Ringo.

Rory: Why me?
Paris: Because people like you. You're quiet. You say "excuse me". You look like little birds help you get dressed in the morning.

Lorelai: [on Michel] He's snarky.
Sookie: And sarcastic.
Lorelai: He's snarkastic.

Lorelai: Hey, you didn't wake me up.
Rory: I set the clock.
Lorelai: Yes, but see, the clock stops ringing once I throw it against the wall giving me ample time to fall back to sleep. You, however, never stop yapping no matter how hard I throw you, thus insuring the wake up process.

It's a fast paced rhythm that the actors have aced in this show. In order to *get* Gilmore Girls, you have to pay attention. It also helps if you're over the age of 35 to get some of the jokes. Or a pop culture junkie. I wish I was that witty. Maybe some of this time spent watching the ENTIRE first season in two, no three sittings won't be a complete waste of time. Hey, I actually used a quote from the movie the other day.

Me: You bought two pepperoni pizzas! We always get one cheese, one pepperoni. You know I don't like pepperoni.
Bryan: So take the pepperoni off! Then you'll have cheese pizza.
Me: But it's "fraternizing with the enemy!"

I'll keep working on that *witty* thing.

The new problem is that they are on the SEVENTH season of this show. That's alot of dvd's. And when you get to the end of the season... there's a cliffhanger! Maybe I'll go back to movies.

2 Comments:

At 1/03/2007 1:21 PM, Blogger Chris said...

We like Gilmore Girls as well. The pace of the dialog makes me think of Tracy-Hepburn movies or other movies from the 1940s where everyone talked a lot and talked fast.

I was the same way you are about watching serialized TV until we made the mistake of getting a DVR (not a Tivo, but the digital cable box from Comcast with a digital recorder). Now we watch way too much TV, but it is really easy to set up series recordings for new episodes only and you never have to pay attention to when they actually come on - you just sit down any time and there are new episodes of stuff to watch (and you can zip through commercials).

The series on DVD thing is great though. I watched the first season of 24 that way and I've got the Arrested Development disks for Christmas. It's a good use for Netflix, as well.

 
At 1/30/2007 9:32 AM, Blogger  said...

Yay for fellow Gilmore Girls fans! The impossibly polished dialogue! The deliciously painful overacting! I love it too, all of it.

And don't worry about there being seven seasons. The show clearly jumps the shark halfway through season 4, a little while after Rory starts out at her college of choice (see? I didn't give anything away!). When you get there, you will realize just how the idiot writers broke our beloved Gilmore Girls.

But alas, happy watching! And greetings from a complete stranger stopping by your corner of the blogosphere. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home