Monday, January 15, 2007

Starting from the Bottom

Okay, so when you are feeling depressed may not be the best time to blog. Just thought I'd throw that out as a warning.

There's a saying in the world of band: "being last chair means you can only move up."

Right now I'm feeling very last chair-ish.

I had my first flute lesson in years. I had one about ten years ago, and then before that was when I was in college. It's funny how you can feel exactly the same way so many years later. And the way I feel is like I am the worst flute player on the planet. Maybe it's like boot camp... they have to tear you down before they can build you up. There's nothing like having all your weaknesses brought to the forefront.

I know I'm not a really good flute player. But I thought I was better than how I feel now. I have lots to work on, that's for sure! It's the little things, ripping apart a piece, note by note, interval by interval. And Tone. It's all about tone and breathing.

I'm in need of a confidence booster. I think I'll go eat chocolate.

And practice. Yes. Practice. Okay, I'll skip the chocolate. It'll just make my keys sticky.

2 Comments:

At 1/15/2007 2:50 PM, Blogger Becca said...

Yeah, that's why I don't want to be a professional musician. When your goal is perfection it can be a little overwhelming.

 
At 1/23/2007 2:38 PM, Blogger Chris said...

If it makes you feel better, you are by far the best flute player that I've ever seen perform at the Mountain Gap Middle School gym :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home