Sunday, September 16, 2007

Life = School, still

So welcome to my what seems to be my weekly blog update. I feel like there isn't much to update unless you want to hear what my grades are, how depressed I got this week in my flute lessons, or how I don't have time for anything but homework and practicing.

Being a music major has its perks. I get to hear awesome performances and meet up-and-coming composers and musicians. I did get to go to the fabulous Huntsville Symphony Orchestra concert this weekend. A flute concerto was premiered, (I got to personally meet and chat with the composer) and they also played Beethoven's 9th Symphony. Everybody should hear a live performance of that piece sometime in their life... it's the Ode to Joy song... you'd recognize it. There was a huge choir and four soloists. I had goosebumps on my arms and tears in my eyes. I love how music can do that to you. My teacher says that is my goal as a flutist... to move people with my music. Maybe some day.

I'm starting to tire of being a student. I want to be a Grammie, a better mom and shoot, I'd like to play with my scrapbooking stuff...

Sometimes I wonder why I am doing this to myself. On Friday I was so down about it (not about school, but about being a flute performance major when I can't play the flute worth a crap, and yes, I said crap) that I went to my Wind Ensemble director and told him I needed five minutes of his time to tell me why I should stay in college. It turns out he had a great speech prepared because his dad just graduated from college, doing the same thing I'm doing. Sometimes his dad would call him and ask the same thing... "why am I doing this?"

Why? Because of that little piece of paper that says I earned a college degree. But it's got to be bigger than that. Maybe someday I'll find the answer.

2 Comments:

At 9/16/2007 11:28 AM, Blogger Becca said...

I think for you school is an investment of time so that later you'll be able to be as flexible with music as you want to be, but still make better money. And be able to enjoy yourself, too, because you like music.

 
At 9/19/2007 10:33 AM, Blogger Mrs. Olsen said...

I think you're setting a great example as a Mom and Grammie that learning never ends and you are always growing and improving yourself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home