Monday, September 18, 2006

The 18th day

Josh shared a good blogging related quote from the book he is reading right now, Tolkiens's The Hobbit. I thought it was interesting that at such a young age he would glean a quote from his reading. And it's a great quote:

"Now it is a strange thing, but things that are good to have and days that are good to spend are soon told about, and not much to listen to; while things that are uncomfortable, palpitating, and even gruesome, may make a good tale, and take a deal of telling anyway."

Josh said "it's so true!" It's great to have an intelligent kid... One who can connect with words. (Notice the well worn copy of The Hobbit that I think now everybody in this family has read.)

So here's my blog today... "not much to listen to."

This morning a friend called me and asked if I wasn't too busy did I want to go out for a drink? I said, you mean like to a bar? ;-) You have to know this friend, I guess. She was down, and I was feeling a little lonely, so we went out for a drink, at 10 in the morning--To Chick-fil-a, to get some diet lemonade! I love that stuff. It always makes me feel better! And we did some retail therapy at the mall. Look what I bought-- regularly $42.oo for all, and I paid only $9.03 total for it. What a saavy shopper I am!

Blast from the past... you know how sometimes you hear something, or smell something, or see something, and all of a sudden you are transported back in time to a childhood memory? That happened to me tonight. Nothing really exciting. I was sitting in the dining room playing Spider Solitaire on my laptop (I know... a waste of time, but a fun waste of time.) Anyway, I digress. I was sitting in the dining room and I heard a noise outside... the noise of the bugman coming down the road spraying the toxic fumes that kill mosquitos. I was taken back to the summer of 1967 when we stayed with Daddy and Bobbie for the summer. I remember getting so excited when we heard the sounds of what we then called the "fogman". We would run outside and chase the truck up and down the streets, playing in the fog. Man, can you imagine the toxins we were inhaling! It's a wonder that there's nothing wrong with me today... oh, well maybe... hmmm. No comment.

I'm almost in the market for a new car. Almost meaning I'm ready for a new car but don't have the funds to get one just yet. I'm afraid my minivan is ready to bite the dust. It's falling apart too. Notice the rearview mirror.

I'm hanging on as long as it will let me. I don't know yet what kind of car I'll be replacing it with. I'm looking at SUV's.


Of all the cars we've ever bought we never really picked out one that was the color I wanted. Maybe I'll be able to do that with this one. What color should I get? I read a cool article about car colors.

Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.
Silver cars indicate someone who's cool, calm and slightly aloof.
Green cars can often be chosen by people with hysterical tendencies.
Yellow cars signify someone who is idealistic and novelty loving.
Blue cars are chosen by the more introspective, reflective and cautious driver.
Gray cars represent those who are calm, sober and dedicated to their work.
Red cars denote those who are full of zest, energy and drive and who think, move and talk quickly.
Pink cars are chosen by gentle, loving and affectionate drivers.
White cars represent status-seeking extrovert drivers.
Cream cars are the least likely to be involved in accidents and denote self-contained and controlled owners.

It's interesting that the color of my current car, well, minivan, is not listed. (Unless they mean cream) It's metallic tan, champagne I think it's called. And my husband drives a white car and he is one of the the most NON-status seeking, non-extrovert people I know.

Dinner: A delicious meal I whipped up using olive oil, my own herbal vinegar, and some Herbs de Provence that I bought in, well, Provence. Duh. Yum.

What made me laugh today: The television show "Whose Line is it Anyway?". I love that show, and it usually does make me laugh out loud. How they can come up with that improv stuff totally amazes me.

word of the day: vi·cis·si·tude [vi-sis-i-tood, -tyood] n. A change or variation. The quality of being changeable; mutability. One of the sudden or unexpected changes or shifts often encountered in one's life, activities, or surroundings.

1 Comments:

At 9/19/2006 9:05 AM, Blogger Becca said...

Yeah, I wonder what beige is, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home